Providing exceptional legal services to local governments, non-profits, businesses, and individuals since 1978
We at McMurchie Law understand the numerous legal challenges facing public agencies in providing essential government services while complying with the laws and regulations impacting their operations. Since 1978 we have built our experience counseling a wide variety of public agencies throughout California. We offer our clients the seasoned legal counseling, adept negotiation skills, proficient advocacy, and financial advice they require to serve their constituents in the most efficient and cost-effective manner possible.
We are committed to the growth and development of the special district form of local government. To this end, we continuously educate our public agency clients on legal developments impacting their operations through legal alerts and workshops. Education enables our clients to proactively identify potential issues before they impact operations and develop policies and plans to address those issues. We emphasize good governance principles such as the importance of order and organization in our interactions with our public agency clients.
As part of our commitment to improving public agency law, we analyze the legal implications of proposed legislation impacting special districts on behalf of the California Special Districts Association and the Special District Risk Management Authority.
We also serve as counsel to the following statewide associations: the California Special Districts Association, the California Special Districts Finance Corporation, the Fire Districts Association of California, the Fire Districts Association of California Employment Benefits Authority, and the WateReuse Finance Authority. This specialized expertise translates into thorough and productive solutions to the complex issues confronting our clients.
Our scope of services to our public agency clients includes:
- General Counsel and Special Counsel Services;
- Public Contracting and Bidding Issues;
- Open Meeting and Public Records Issues;
- Public Finance Issues;
- Employment and Human Resource Management Issues;
- Conflicts of Interest;
- Assessments, Fees, and Taxes; Including Assessment Districts, Assessment District Financing, Mello-Roos Districts, and Proposition 218 and Proposition 26 Implications;
- Operational Policies;
- Formation and Administration of Joint Powers Authorities;
- Environmental Issues Under CEQA
- Local Agency Formation Commission Issues and Proceedings; and
- Real Property Purchases and Sales, Leases and Easements.